Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Monday, September 4, 2017

Giving Patreon a Try, and Why

So I've finally taken the plunge and have decided to give Patreon a try. It's not an attempt to pump folks for cash. I'm not on a quest to write full time. I teach full time and love my job, and my wife works full-time. Although I can't deny that every little bit extra helps, this isn't primarily about the money.

Of course, money is an important factor. For example, you'll notice the proviso that I'm not going to kick the thing off until I reach a minimum of $40 a month. After a frank discussion with my wife, we decided that with the amount of time it takes to write, the time it takes away from family, on top of teaching, it wouldn't be worth it to produce content for less than that. 

We'll see if I get that much. I'm taking a very practical approach to this. Either I'll receive enough pledges to begin writing, or I won't. If I don't, then I'll simply move forward and keep writing and working, and maybe attempt it another time. I'm not going to flog a dead horse, or push a cart that just won't go. Seems like Patreon is a great chance to produce content for readers. Maybe it'll be for me; maybe it won't.

Was I skeptical about Patreon when it debuted? Yes, just like I was skeptical about my work being in ebook. Obviously, I've come around regarding the latter, and I would love to give the former a try.

The remaining question, of course, is why. Essentially, I see lots of potential in my little Clifton Heights mythos. Towns are made up of very different kinds of people. All of these folks have very different kinds of lives, and therefore, very different kinds of stories. I want to know those stories, and I want others to know them, too. Especially folks who have enjoyed the Clifton Heights stories up until now.

Anyway, we'll see if this flies. Again, if not...we'll just keep plugging away, writing every day, as always. Believe me, I would love for it to fly. I really want to see where it'll take us.

Kevin Lucia on Patreon

Pledge $4 a month:

A new short story every month. Could be horror, could be speculative, could be slice of life. 

Pledge $8 a month:A new short story every month, plus one chapter of the serialized story, The Glasses.

Pledge $10 a month:A new short story every month, one chapter of the serialized story The Glasses and a chapter a month of the serialized story, The Last Pitch Before Nightfall.

Pledge $15 a month:All of the above, including the following: if you've followed me for a year, you will receive three trade paperback editions: one collecting my short stories, one for The Glasses  and one for The Last Pitch Before Nightfall. These will be not sold on Amazon, or conventions. You can only get them through here.



No comments:

Post a Comment