Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Sunday, September 29, 2019

The Enrichment of Friends

I'm sitting here writing this in waning moments of RoberCon 2019, and I'm poignantly reminded of what Cons are all about, really, especially considering this year's circumstances. Unfortunately, due to events out of his hands, good friend and editor of Lamplight Magazine, Jacob Haddon, was unable to make the trip to RoberCon this year. Which meant I had to man the table myself. As things worked out, most of my writer friends were placed on a completely different floor. For the first time since RoberCon began, I found myself mostly isolated for the entire weekend.

I say mostly, because I did get to know the folks at SPECTERS (paranormal investigators) pretty well through the convention, especially Alonnie Phoenix, a local medium. In that case it worked out pretty well, because if I ended up near the "usual suspects" I might not have made her acquaintance. Even so, the weekend has been a bit of let-down, because I didn't get the time with my friends I usually do at RoberCon.

It simply underscored the real reason why I love to attend Cons. Yes, I do love selling my books - connecting with Constant Readers, meeting new ones. But I love hanging out with my friends even more. It's what makes Cons so precious.

However, I've also recently realized that it's time for these friendships grow past just writing events. Some of these people I'm known almost ten years. We've experienced a lot together; in person, and vicariously through The Book of Face. It's time to be really intentional about these relationships, and not let their growth hinge on my Con attendance, or our writing careers.

This was reinforced in grand fashion for me when Madi and I recently met up with authors Bob Ford, Kelli Owen, Wesley Southard, and his wife Katie. We met them at what remains of the PA mining town Centralia, the inspiration for the Silent Hill video games and movies, and Dean Koontz's novella, Strange Highways. 

Graffiti Highway, Centralia, PA
We had a fun time. There's not as much "creepy stuff" to see, anymore.  All the buildings are gone, and the steam vents are now closed. "Graffiti Highway," which used to be covered in weird spray-painted occult symbols, is now one big patch of layer upon layer of colorful graffiti.

Even so, we enjoyed ourselves. We talked about horror, writing, movies, and life stuff. We then went and shared a late lunch, and simply enjoyed each other's company. This is something which should happen more often. I love these people not just because they're my "writer friends," but because they're my friends. Hanging out at Cons is wonderful, but gatherings like ours in Centralia is what friendship is all about: spending time with each other, just because, and it's something which needs to happen more often.
The Illest Group From Centralia, PA. Ready to drop some mad lyrics.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment