Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Friday, July 12, 2019

Review: discipl·ish: My Unconventional Pilgrimage thru Faith, Art, & Evangelical Culture

discipl·ish: My Unconventional Pilgrimage thru Faith, Art, & Evangelical Culture discipl·ish: My Unconventional Pilgrimage thru Faith, Art, & Evangelical Culture by Mike Duran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Confession: I've known Mike Duran for many years. I've loved his fiction, we've exchanged lots of emails and phone calls, and I consider him not only a colleague, but also a friend. That having been said: this is an excellent story about his journey of faith, through vocational ministry, personal ministry, and artistic ministry. One of the things I've always loved about Mike's approach to art and fiction and faith is that he embraces the concept of Mystery. He's a contradiction, in many ways. Progressives probably find him too conservative. Conservatives - especially those engaged in the arts and fiction - certainly find him to progressive. Regardless, the story of Mike's journey gives a wonderful context to his philosophical positions. As he quotes poet and essayist Diane Akerman: "It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment