Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Review: Unleashed

Unleashed Unleashed by Peter Laws
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So, Matt Hunter has quickly become a series character that I'll be sure to follow from now on. PURGED was a good read, but I absolutely loved UNLEASHED. He's kind of like an occult Repairman Jack - former priest now turned atheist religion professor who gets pulled into police cases involving the strange, religious, or the occult.

The best thing is what I *think* Peter Laws is doing with Matt Hunter. I don't want to go into too much detail - I'll save that for when I feature Laws on my Cemetery Dance Online column, REVELATIONS - but I love how it seems like he's making Hunter more and more uncertain about his convictions that there's no supernatural elements in the world, that there's nothing "bigger" out there. He's doing it subtly, though, and who knows if he's continued that trend in SEVERED, or plans to continue it along Matt Hunter's journey. In any case - don't let the author's background as a Baptist minister throw you off. This is NOT watered down "Christian fiction." This is excellent suspense/thriller (supernatural?) fiction, and Laws seems to be using Hunter to grapple with serious existential questions in an authentic, honest way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment