Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Monday, February 18, 2019

Review: Mystery Walk

Mystery Walk Mystery Walk by Robert R. McCammon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just as powerful the second time around, and I think one of my favorite McCammon novels, in retrospect. It's ironic how, the first time around, I was initially hoping it would be more like BOY'S LIFE (even though this was published first, I didn't get to it until after I read BL), was briefly disappointed in how it WASN'T like BL, especially considering how Billy and his mother Ramona were treated by the town of Hawthorne (the name of the town seems doubly apt, on a second reading) and Billy's father, but then the idea of the Mystery Walk, the tragically late redemption of both John Creekmore and Wyane, and Billy's quest - developing on the opposite end of Wayne Falconer's - swept me away, as most McCammon novels usually do.

I think McCammon's portrayal of the wildly popular - almost cult-like - evangelist Fakconer and how easily Wayne is taken in by the devious and decadent businessman Krespin at the end is still timely. Especially considering how much of a "big business" Christianity has become.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment