Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Monday, November 12, 2018

Review: Candlenight

Candlenight Candlenight by Phil Rickman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this just as much as CURFEW. Slow-burn, atmospheric horror with a real story behind it, and I especially dug the Welsh history/folklore behind the story. Only reason it took so long to get through is because I had other reading I needed to do for my CD column which got in the way.

I do have to say, though, when I read reviews of a book I thoroughly enjoyed that say "Well written but not scary" (wasn't that hideous "ice sculpture" at the end pretty horrifying?) or "boring nothing happens until the end," I truly do wonder about my place in the horror genre, and if my work will ever gain more traction. I suppose that's why it's so important to write for yourself first, then audience second.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment