Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Friday, April 15, 2016

My Stuff: Everything I Needed to Know, I Learned In Universal Monster Picture Books

m
 

I find it eternally intriguing that, even though I had very little concept of what the "horror" genre was as a kid, I was always drawn to the strange and fantastic. I loved the Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark series,  original Scooby-Doo, I loved comic books, ghost stories, alternate dimensions, time travel, weird stories about real life unexplainable things, and The Hardy Boys which, believe it or not, I found several to be kinda creepy.

I also adored these Universal Monster books - again, having no understanding of what the Universal Monster Movies were, other than old black and white movies. Anyway, I read them all: the Frankenstein books, the Wolfman books, this Mummy book (found last year at the library's used book sale) and of course, Dracula.

They summarized the movies, with black and white stills from the film. I liked those pictures the best, but I must've read the stories over and over too, because when I flipped through The Mummy upon finding it last year, I recognized nearly every word immediately.

Funny, how I was always interested in this stuff, even before I knew what the "horror" genre was...

No comments:

Post a Comment