Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Terror at Miskatonic Falls - Update

For those new to the blog show around here, allow me to recap the development of The Terror at Miskatonic Falls.  It started as a pretty simple idea: basically a collection of Lovecraftian poetry that would be something like Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology, a collection of epitaph poems from folks in Spoon River whom had all died that served up quirky, humorous, sad, perhaps even....morbid insights into the townspeople's lives.

So an idea was born: a Lovecraftian take on Spoon River, of a small little Massachusetts town next to Miskatonic Falls and the Miskatonic River, where something had been loosed... and all that remained of the townspeople were poems, limericks, even haiku scribbled all over the place: doors, walls, floors....

Submissions and editing took some time.  I got lots of poems, and found very quickly that while editing fiction  - as I did for Shroud's 2010 Halloween Issue - can be a very cut and dry business for me, either the story "grabs me" by page two or not at all, editing poetry was SO much more involved, taking into accounts all the different forms.  Also, I wanted to avoid very OBVIOUS Lovecraftian tropes and images, focusing more on townspeople who were slowly unraveling as they saw dark things flitting to and fro in the shadows.
 
Danny Evarts - Shroud layout guru - is still working feverishly at this thing.  I have to be honest, here, and take most the blame for how long it's taking.  Basically, I pitched this project to Tim Deal, he approved it, I collected poems, worked with the poets, then threw it at Danny and said; "Here's this idea I got in my head.  Can you, like, do it?"

He's doing an absolutely splendid job. The images continue to come in, and they continue to be lovely.  All I know is, I owe Danny a CASE of his favorite beverage when this whole thing is through....






 

 

9 comments:

  1. I want a signed copy by both you and Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this, enormously. Don't give Danny the booze until AFTER he's done ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Richard! Yes...that's the plan...Maybe at AnthoCon 2012....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kevin, though you rejected my take on your subject, I continued to work on it anyway. Here it is. Can't wait to read your finished product.
      Thanks,
      D.C. Martin (dcmartin1975@hotmail.com)

      The LongMan Chronicles
      By D.C. Martin

      Part Two: His Song

      Upon the drifts of snow it rested,
      Clearly for all to see,
      A Miskatonic mist unfurled
      and enveloped you and me.
      Where is the heart that used to beat,
      Beat inside this chest of mine,
      Why has our world grown so dim
      As if we’ve all ran out of time.
      Swimming about in madness
      Friends and family destroyed their own
      Their remains no longer remaining
      Not even flesh and bone
      A face appeared in shadow
      A face appeared in stone
      The Longman came and led us away
      With the madness of his song.

      Part Three: Lived and Died

      The way it used to be, the way it’s always been,
      the way I see the world today,
      I just beg for it to end.
      One door away from oblivion;
      just a stone’s throw away from hell,
      another form of suicide,
      one last ringing of the bell.
      A sky turned white by snowfall,
      covering this sleepy town,
      one thing that's sure, is that there is no cure,
      and not a body to be found
      He just appeared upon main street
      with a sound so divine
      that it crept into our heart and soul,
      crept into our minds
      then the madness set upon us,
      and our world came crashing down
      as we beat and smashed upon each other
      till death was all around
      A populace of dead men talking,
      with not a single word to say,
      a nightmarish end for the children of men,
      who disappeared today
      We never saw it coming,
      but we heard the cries for sure,
      we tried to hide, but you can't stop the tide
      from falling upon the shore.
      Now we bathe in shadows,
      as we point our eyes towards the sky,
      and wonder what has become of us,
      since hearing His lullaby

      Part 4: This Mask

      Of all the masks I've worn before,
      The mask of horror I've worn much more,
      You beg to know of me what's real,
      but what's underneath I dare not reveal,
      If not for hiding behind this guise,
      I think you might think otherwise,
      Without you near me and without you to guide,
      The Long Man behind this mask doth hide.
      For each time I have shown my face,
      the one you see, once this mask is raised,
      Lamentations are heard, screamed far and wide,
      so beneath this mask, the Long Man hides.

      Part 5: The End

      Mother listened at the scratching sounds,
      dried leaves crumbling above the ground,
      huddled beneath this earth and sky
      in Miskatonic Falls we'll die
      This cellar dark, yet our new home
      as we hide by day and dare not roam.
      I'm only 6 but still I know
      that's what’s above, can't be controlled
      that here I lay, and here we'll stay,
      and never again will I run and play
      whether it be right or it be wrong,
      we all fell victim to the Long Man's song

      Delete
    2. The one comment about waiting to give him the case AFTER it's complete.. I'm kinda curious to see how it would "enhance" the pages.. I mean.. afterall.. Lovecraft did that with his stuff too

      Delete
  4. Just stumbled across this post and was so glad to catch another glimpse at the work in progress. Even better because part of one of my poems is among the images above. Continuing to look forward to the completion and release of this remarkable work. We should gather as many of the contributors as possible to salute Danny when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the whole book is like this then I think its going to be something really special and will be well worth the wait.

    Very excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we get an update on this?

    ReplyDelete