Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm tired, but....

...but I'm up.  Luckily, I'm in the editing/typing phase, which is much easier to do this early in the morning.  I won't have to actually "write" from a blank slate for quite some time, which is good. Got a lot of typing to do before then.

Which is the part of the writing process I like the most, actually.  The initial writing is a very ambivalent sort of thing.  It's in my head and I have to get it down or I'll go nuts - I have to write SOMETHING every day, or I'll go nuts - but I don't always LIKE what I write.  Lots of times, those first handwritten drafts are just meh.

But when I start editing my work, stripping away all the fat and finding the story inside, THAT's when I really get a kick out of it.  When I really enjoy what I'm doing, when I really feel like a writer.

Of course, the morning has become "my time"  now, period.  After getting up this early for about 5 or 6 years, I can't write past 11 AM in the morning.  As weird as it sounds, it's gotta be written before then, or it's not happening.

Anyway.  Just some tired ramblings before I scarf some food down and get to work....

3 comments:

  1. I hear you, Kevin. I'm in a pickle because I'm doing both on my current project. I went back over the book and realized there are chapters that were fun, but not needed and missing chapters that were never written. So I'm switching back and forth from editing and writing. It is definitely a task to make the gear change as fast as I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've found something that works well for me, I noticed it on one of Norman Partridge's recent blogs, where he mentioned building the story in blocks, like the foundation of a building. I wrote - by hand - roughly half the novel. Then, I started typing it in sections. After each section, I printed line edited, applied the changes, then I continued typing. That takes longer, but it's really jiving with me, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "After each section, I printed line edited" - after each section, I printed IT OUT and lined edited"

    ReplyDelete