Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ten Authors I'd Like to Meet. What about you?

Author Mike Duran is playing this game on his blog.  I commented, then posted here.  Go over to his blog and play along, or play along here! 

Norman Partridge - Writes whatever he wants. Period.  Crime.  Horror.  Noir.  Dark fantasy.  And he's given lots of great advice  this past year.

Ray Bradbury – I spoke with his agent once. That was the closest I got.

Stephen King – I did, however, meet his son Joe Hill. Wonderful guy. Very funny, very relaxed and humble.

Dean Koontz – For all the obvious reasons.

Neil Gaiman –  Just love his work.

T. L. Hines - Tony was one of the first authors I ever approached for advice, so I’d love to meet him. Love his work, too.

Robert Liparulo - Ditto.

Peter Straub - Spoke to him on a radio show once. Would love to meet him, would probably act like an idiot.

Robert McCammon - Would like to shake his hand and say: “THANK YOU for Boy’s Life."

Travis Thrasher - Love his work, and he just seems like a great guy. Also seems like we might share a similar sense of humor.

T. M. Wright - Love his “quiet horror”, and he seems like a wonderful person.

Would love to put Charles Grant, but he’s passed on, so…maybe in another place...

4 comments:

  1. Nice post and nice list!
    Here are few I'd like to chat with.

    Stephen King - The Master and who wouldn't?
    Neil Gaiman - Pretty much the other Master just a hop over the pond.
    Christopher Nolan - In my opinion he has the best twists and vision. Would love to run around in his mind!
    Dean Koontz - As a writer he almost has to be on my list.
    J.J. Abrams - His style and approach to storytelling is on a grand scale, but with the simplest twists.

    I've taken a writing course with Travis Thrasher and he is hilarious. Great guy as well.
    I have also had the pleasure of learning under Steven James, who has a Masters in storytelling = totally awesome.

    In August I'll be attending The Ragged Edge Conference where I'll be privileged enough to learn craft secrets from Ted Dekker, Eric Wilson, Tosca Lee, Steven James, and Robert Liparulo. I'm sure it will be unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days, I'm going to make it to that, if it becomes a yearly thing. I'm going to make a stab at ThrillerFest next year, also, which Rob attends too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the front row in NYC with friends to hear Stephen King speak about UNDER THE DOME when it came out.

    I've met Peter Straub at various NYC readings. He's very smart and friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - everything I've heard about Peter says the same!

    ReplyDelete