Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm A Guilty Pleasure

For the most part I've let pimping and reviews of Hiram Grange and the Chosen One go by the wayside.  I'm working on different stuff now, want to move forward and not rest on my laurels, and quite honestly, I don't want to beat a dead horse.  It was well received by folks, reviews pop up here and there, I'm very proud of the work I did - both stylistically and with Hiram - but I've got other stuff I want to get out there, and want to keep developing and evolving as a writer.

However,  a new Goodreads review popped up, and while it gave me the requisite warm fuzzies, it also raised an honest question. Here's the review:

"I love noir, paranormal, so this was right up my alley. Along with a conflicted anti-hero, this was a bit of a guilty pleasure, and reminiscent of King's writing, if you liked his earlier works."

Now, the reviewer is a proven, reliable source, so I don't consider this to be blowing smoke.  But the comparison to Stephen King interests me.  In many ways, it doesn't surprise me.  King was my introduction to adult horror, and for several years I voraciously consumed his work.  

But his later work.  Not his earlier work.  Call this heresy, but the earliest thing of his I've read is The Gunslinger. Haven't read Christine, Carie, Firestarter, or any of those.  Nor many of his short story collections.  Have them, just got them after I'd moved on to other writers, which again, intrigues me, because my early writing very much imitated King's later, more flowery/verbose style, and I'd thought I'd shaken myself loose from that.

But reminiscent of King's writing, if you liked his earlier works...

Hmmm.  Now I've got to go read his early stuff, see if I recognize anything....  

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I have it on good authority that reviewer is ten different kinds of rascal and is not to be trusted. ;)He spends a lot of time drunk and exposing himself in public parks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? I knew I liked that reviewer for SOME reason....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He spends a lot of time drunk and exposing himself in public parks."

    See? Sounds like my kind of guy...

    ReplyDelete