Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and get the following ebooks free: Things Slip Through,
Hiram Grange & The Chosen One, and Devourer of Souls

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This morning's inspiration for the current WIP

I'm an organic writer (whatever THAT means).  So often I've got a vague, amorphous idea of the story I want to write in my head, but I really need lots of writing time to sort that out.   This often leads me down multiple dead-ends and produces lots of rewrites, and is admittedly not the fastest nor perhaps the most efficient way to write.  But I really LIKE what comes out of that kind of writing, and the stories (as well as my first novella) that have been produced through this method I consider to be my best work to date.  They're also the most satisfying to write on an *GASP!* "artistic" level.

Of course, with my recent series proposal to a New York Publishing House, for the first time I had to write a detailed synopsis, series overview, and a book outline for the first two installments.  Surprisingly, I really enjoyed that also, which is pretty cool.  It means that I'll probably employ different means for different stories (which makes a lot of sense, because every story has its own unique voice).

In this case, my current WIP - which has been more or less in continual drafting for over a year - has slowly been taking shape.  I've been circling around the idea of string theory and multiple universes/dimensions, but it just hasn't been taking shape for me.  Then this morning I ran across this little tidbit, and stuck that sucker right into the story:

"The appearance of the wheels and their work was like to the color of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as if it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel."   - Ezekiel 1:16

So what does that all mean?  What's my WIP about?  Well, when I figure that out completely I'll have a finished novel, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment